The refurbishment and upgrade of the Grade II* Listed 7 Albemarle Street has transformed this building into a 21st Century workplace. The imaginative use of materials and techniques has exposed and enhanced the Georgian heritage features whilst updating services and finishes to an adequate level for the modern-day user.
Commissioned in November 2012, the scheme was granted planning in August 2013 and completed in August 2015. Originally built in 1720 and Grade II* listed in 1958, extensive permissions had to be sort for all materials and detailing. The building remained fully operational throughout the works whilst a bespoke approach to interspersing the services within the heritage floors, floors and walls was required.
The client brief involved a thorough refurbishment and the re-linking of existing spaces to regain a sense of identity and to inspire united working operations. The subsequent opening up of the ground floor, replicating the original plan form, has brought people back to the heart of this building whilst creating an inter-connected, welcoming and collaborative space.
The reinstatement of the original gas lamp over the front door has restored the building’s individuality in the general streetscape and is emblematic of our design approach – we have pulled back all of the layers of time to uncover the buildings true identity, combining the heritage elements with first class modern design.