St. Ermin’s Hotel
The St Ermin’s Hotel in St. James’s Park, London, was built as a mansion block in 1887-9 and subsequently converted for hotel use. It is Grade II listed, stands within a conservation area and is neighboured by Charles Holden’s London Underground Limited Headquarters.
The project refurbished the existing hotel, converted a wing of office accommodation into an additional 78 hotel rooms/suites and provided a new link building to connect these two parts of the hotel. New arrival spaces were created for the hotel reception and new restaurant, with sensitive remodelling to the forecourt and entrance areas. The two new roofs at third and sixth floor level are brown roof systems, which both enhance the thermal performance of the roof structure, and add to the biodiversity of the dense inner city area. The new hotel restaurant also uses these roofs to house their 75,000 Buckfast bees, which provide honey for use in dishes on the ‘Caxton Grill’ menu.